Just returned from three days of field work on Maui. This time, the work is mainly to visit residents that applied for a water use permit. Despite the constant sweat running down my back (sorry, sorta gross), I have a wonderful time talkin' story with the residents. My good friend Robert and I were teamed up to visit residents in the South Waiehu area on the second day. We were on a schedule so we could visit all 8 households that day. Around lunch time, we were running late and we had only 20 minutes to drive back town for lunch. Luckily, the last resident we visited offered to cook us fry rice. He said, "It would take me five minutes to make." How could we refuse food! His kitchen had all kine commercial size cookware - kitchen aid the size of an arcade machine! He also had a coconut grater and all kine gigantic pots and pans. What we admired most was his old style gas stove, wok, and manual venting system.

Pretty awesome set-up ya? And the fry rice was healthy and ono! Made with fresh chives, tuna, tomatoes, onions and brown rice. He really did cook this in 5 minutes.

After lunch, we had some time left so he decided to show us how he dehusks a coconut. Crap, he finished dehusking a coconut in 1 minute and no kidding. It would've taken us...half hour or more? BTW, I have the coconut now am and planning to eat it soon!

Then he told us, "Btw, I have a pot-bellied pig." My eyes popped and I was sooooooo happy! Her name is Penelope and we got to see her eat a papaya.
No comments:
Post a Comment