While enjoying my favorite sushi at a great sushi restaurant or bar, I always wish to have simple conversations with the itamae-san like the ones you see on the Japanese food shows on TV. I want to tell him how great the food is and ask for his recommendations on what to eat next. When you build a good relationship with your sushi chef, you will have a more enjoyable sushi-eating experience. However, since I don’t speak any Japanese, another way to show respect and how I much I enjoy the food is to have good sushi etiquette. A good sushi chef notices customers with good sushi etiquette and will personally welcome your returning visits. I have researched online and composed a brief summary of sushi etiquettes to follow when you are at a sushi restaurant. Afterall, don’t you want to enjoy sushi at a bar as a sushi connoisseur?
- Never wear strong perfume or other fragrances when going to a sushi bar. They will conflict with the flavors of the food.
- Usually, the sushi connoisseurs sit at sushi bars but you are welcome to sit wherever you like.
- Never refuse when given Oshibori (hot towel). Oshibori is used for wiping hands before meal.
- Remember to order with the assigned waiter or waitress. Sushi chefs only take sushi or sashimi orders.
- Never order more than what you can eat at a time at the sushi bar because you do not want the sushi to dry out. Also, since you are eating sushi with other customers as well, it is rude to order a large amount of food and take up the chef’s time in preparing food just for you. Order maybe 1-3 items and then order more later.
- Sushi connoisseurs usually order green tea with the food. However, sake or beer is equally important to order at a sushi bar. It is not wise to order coffee or coca cola with sushi since the taste will masks flavors of the sushi.
- Never ask for knives because that implies the food the tough.
- Never smoke at a sushi bar since the smoke will disrupt the flavors of the sushi and also other people eating sushi.
- Know how to use hashi (chopsticks). Never eat sushi with fork or spoon. People will look at you funny.
- When using chopsticks, break them apart under the table and never rub them together to get rid of the splinters. That implies the restaurant cannot afford expensive chopsticks.
- When taking food from a shared plate, use the opposite ends of your chopsticks.
- Never use chopsticks to pass food; instead, pass the plate. Passing food with chopsticks means passing cremated bones of a deceased relative at a Japanese funeral.
- When eating sushi, you have a choice of eating with your fingers or chopsticks. However, always eat sashimi with chopsticks.
- Never make wasabi soup with your soy sauce. The itamae-san prepares sushi or nigiri for original taste of the fish and not for you to indulge in wasabi, which paralyzes the palette and hide the subtle flavors of the raw fish.
- Never dip sushi rice down in soy sauce. Pick up the sushi and dip the fish, then eat the sushi whole with fish side on your tongue. Always try to eat sushi whole and not bite in half.
- Never bite into one piece of sushi and then go for another piece. Always finish the one you have and then go for a second piece.
- Daikon and gari (ginger) are to nibble on in between dishes. They help cleanse your mouth of after-taste from the previous dish.
- When not using chopsticks, place them on the hashi oki in front of you, parallel to the sushi bar table. This way the sushi chef will know you are finished and ready to pay.
- Finish everything! Never leave food behind, especially rice.
- When you are ready to pay, ask for the waiter or waitress, not the chef. People who handle food never touch the money.
- When you leave, say “Gochisoo-sama” to the itamae-san.

8 comments:
"Never make wasabi soup with your soy sauce. The itamae-san prepares sushi or nigiri for original taste of the fish and not for you to indulge in wasabi, which paralyzes the palette and hide the subtle flavors of the raw fish."
Ah, so what is the proper way to use the wasabi?
When I searched online, I remember there were mixed feelings about this. One person mentioned the wasabi should be placed between the fish and the rice and you are meant to taste the fish and not the wasabi. Another person mentioned that mixing the wasabi with the soy sauce is disrespectful to the wasabi farmer/producer. However, westerners are so used to putting the wasabi in the soy sauce it may have become a custom already. Then again, I have seen people mix large amounts of wasabi in soy sauce and keep on mixing and mixing until there's no tomorrow. That's not what you are supposed to do. If you were a chef, wouldn't you want people to taste your food instead of the extra oyster sauce they put on?
I just went to ask my friend who knows about sushi etiquette. She says in Japan, people don't mix wasabi with soy sauce, but put the wasabi on the fish and then dip the fish in the soy sauce. That is the right way of eating sushi. At home, you can do whatever you like but just not at a sushi bar when the chef can see you :)
I think Bryan had his first sushi + wasabi with me several years ago in Pasadena.
Hence, I took Bryan's wasabi virginity. HAhaha.
LOL...yes, he was very proud to say, "Pat introduced me to sushi and I fell in love." He still makes wasabi soup. All this time and he calls himself the sushi eater >:(
I'm hungry
"Pat introduced me to sushi and I fell in love."
I'll assume Bryan fell in love with sushi and not... ah never mind. ahaHAhaha
And not what? Nevermind what? Hmmm...suspicious... BRYAN!!!!!
Post a Comment