Thursday, February 12, 2009

Punahou Carnival

If I were to leave Hawaii one day, one of the things I will definitely miss is the Punahou Carnival. Despite the crazy kids and the rain, I dare say it is the best carnival in Hawaii mostly because the food is good and cheap. My favorites are the teri burgers (no cheese), gyro, and malasada. The gyro is the best buy because it is only $3.50 when it normally costs $7 or more.
Gyro
Their malasadas are so ono. With a hint of ginger and fully coated with sugar, every bite is crunchy and sweet. I could eat 10 of these if I didn't have to eat the other stuff.
Malasadas
Portugese bean soup would go on my faves if I don't have to wait 45 minutes for it. Same for the beef nachos which never have enough cheese. This year, I asked for extra cheese and still not enough. I wish they would give me a tub of cheese on the side.
Beef Nachos with Extra Cheese Please
Every year, it would rain and the kids would walk barefoot in the mud. Yeah, kinda disgusting and fun at the same time. This year, the weather was great, so great that it made the news! While we were standing in line for malasadas, we stared into the night at the beautiful moon. Not one of my best pictures but the night was bright.
Carnival Moonlight
We ate so much we had to walk around the school to help with digestion. At the children's area, there was a Duckleberry booth where kids catch rubber duckies with a net. I thought the booth name was kinda cute and the rubber duckies needed some celebrity shots before getting caught. Poor duckies.
Duckleberry

3 comments:

mlesnapshot said...

sigh.... the punahou carnival.... oh how I miss thee....
malasadas.... avocados..... white elephant tent..... teri burgers..... sigh......

btw, I like your moon pic, it's really lovely! I'm glad you guys had fun!

angelpoo said...

Thank you Emily! I took the ducky picture for you. I really wanted to play the game but there were too many kids lined up to play. I looked kinda big to be fighting to get in line with the keiki.

The Death Metal Soccer Coach said...

Yum - gyros! Let's go have some on Friday!!