Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chop Suey

Since I don't quite remember what happened during my hiatus, I have taken a Chop Suey approach - random pieces of information that are disconnected but have somehow consumed my every last bit of energy in the past few months. Let’s start with Shaun the Sheep. As Britain’s most beloved star, this adorable character made his debut in America as the perfect icon for Serta Mattress Co. I was given the opportunity to meet this fellow and his gang, and even hug them and pick their noses. Contrary to popular belief, Shaun is not soft but rather firm like a good ol’ sturdy mattress. Their white and fluffy bodies portrayed so soft and heavenly, part of animation being a beautiful and harmless lie. I can’t believe how much these guys sell for: small at $10, large at $400! As much as I love this creature, I did not buy a Serta mattress but I did enjoy napping with the mascot.
Serta Sheep
Mattress shopping is tiring - ironic but true. I am used to sleeping on one bed for at least 6 hours. Going from bed to bed, trying to differentiate the softness between them became impossible the more beds I tested. Pretty soon, my opinion of each bed was “soft, they are all very soft” until…I met THE ONE. Simmons Beautyrest Worldclass Atkins X-Firm – the ultimate perfect bed. It was all very complicated and contradicting, like falling in love – soft but firm, springy but not bouncy, flexible but holds its shape. This bed is absolutely amazing.

On a different note, Bryan and I went to the Hawaii Book and Music Festival at Honolulu Hale back in May. The highlight of this event was getting to see Jake Shimabukuro perform. He is a very talented musician and plays so passionately. I love how he turns melodies normally played with a piano or another instrument into an ukelele masterpiece.
Jake Shimabukuro

1 comment:

mlesnapshot said...

yea, shaun and jake! Ryan went searching to buy shaun the sheep for me one year, but couldn't find him! Thanks for posting a photo!

Aw, I miss the book and music festival! I used to work at it for Mutual Publishing! Did you buy any books?