Sunday, January 27, 2008

Raiatea

I just returned from the Honolulu County Medical Society Member Appreciation Dinner where they had a feature performance from Raiatea Helm. Last time I heard her sing live was at the 2005 Taste of Honolulu. Since there were tons of people, I couldn't hear her very well...as a matter of fact, I couldn't hear anything at all. Tonight, I had the pleasure of enjoying her beautiful voice without the loud chitter chatter or the rustling sound of trees when the wind blows. Ah, she was amazing. Even though I didn't understand her songs (because she sang in Hawaiian), her soothing voice was enough to keep me entertained the whole night. She is only 23 and her wonderful talent got her 2 Grammy nominations already. At the end of her performance, I bought a CD and got her autograph. It was a rather expensive CD...$20. Well, what the heck. I rarely buy CD's anyway. I forgot to bring a camera so I used my phone which takes pretty good pictures for a 1.2 mpx phone camera.
You can see that my friend suu-paawanpaku came with me too. He was playing in the orchid grove while we were watching the performance. He was also scaring the kids before dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Choo, I just saw Raiatea on TV the other night. They were showing all of the 2008 Grammy nominees, she's fabulous! You'll have to play the CD for me next time I visit!

Not nice of suu-paawanpaku to scare the kids, but typical of his mischief, yeah?

angelpoo said...

Ha ha, he kinda' reminds me of me when I was a kid...or even now! Definitely, I'll play the CD. The recording doesn't do her justice tho. She sings so much better live. And she wore the prettiest dress, blue and green halter hawaiian style.