Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Transforming the Back of the House

It's actually good that I waited until almost the end of the project to post. This way, I can describe the transformation from the old house to the new. Let's begin with the renovation of the back of the house. This is how the house originally looked. I was standing in the covered carport taking this photo. The big window was in the family room and the smaller one was in the laundry room. Wires were everywhere and not to mention the ugly sewer pipe.
Back of the House - Original
This side of the house had the most changes, mostly because we wanted to open up more windows to brighten the room and also to create a back entry. Turned out that most of this wall had termite damage so we couldn't save any of the wood. Starting from the left is the bedroom, then the bathroom (2 windows), the open laundry area, and then the back entry. Just a little secret - the bathroom is the only room with a double-hung window. How cool is that!
Back of the House - Framing
We had a little controversy with the back entry stairway. We had wanted a stairway that allows us to enter straight in the door or at an angle. The only way to do that is with a triangle staircase. Since that wasn't "to-code" and we didn't want our neighbors to report us, we decided to go the "legal" way and build a normal looking stairway. Tyvek is used to block out moisture from damaging the drywall. The windows were being installed.
Back of the House - Windows
Viola! All the windows are framed and the siding are nailed in. All that is left is painting.
Back of the House - Siding
Booo! Tricked ya :) I am not posting photos that reveal the color of the house until later. Save the best for last!

3 comments:

Helen Doan said...

I already know the answer. It's going to be light green, a shade of the ocean, haha. I'm amazed at the transformation even though I haven't seen the final yet. But looking at the first picture when you got the house, you're a risk taker. Good work.

angelpoo said...

Hee, no, not light green :) It turned out to be a very happy color, and different too.

Helen Doan said...

a light yellow/orange?