April is such a great month. Why? Well for starters, it's my birthday (details to come). April is also Earth Month, Ben & Jerry's birthday (thus free cone day), and Baskin Robbins' 31 cent ice cream day. To celebrate Earth Month, I volunteered at the Mauka to Makai Expo at Waikiki Aquarium on the 12th. At the event, I took a picture with an oopu (native Hawaiian fresh water fish) and a humuhumunukunukuapuaa (unofficial Hawaii state fish). Malama o Manoa had free tree giveaway the following weekend to encourage the planting of native species. HappyOblivion and I got a Mamaki tree, a palm, and a curry plant. I was lucky to have gotten the last Mamaki tree. Can't wait to make tea out of it, which is said to give the "buzz" without caffeine (people are crazier than I thought). This past weekend, I went to the Grow Hawaii Festival at Bishop Museum. At the native plants tour, I learned so many interesting stories about each plant that I wish I took notes. I also got a taste of the most delicious poi on Earth! Fresh poi is like taro mochi, chewy and sweet :) After the festival, we went on a short hike to Manoa Falls with some friends visiting from the mainland. Check out my Flickr account and Garden webpage for pictures and stories.One of the exciting things that happened last week was capturing the next "Pigture Champ". I have always enjoyed watching the wind blow at the feathers of a bird. When I wait for the bus or sit at the park, I often find myself searching for cute poofy birds with messy feathers. At the Byodo-in Temple, I squatted quietly behind a tree just to take the picture below.

I absolutely love this picture. You can see that the wind has created a mohawk for the little birdie. The body also has a couple poofy parts. Aww, the wind has touched my heart.
5 comments:
oh I love the pigture champ!! Ryan might be a little scared, though. haha!
Oh just continue with your busy life, stop sneaking up on birds. No, they will not end up in your tummy even if you look at them long enough.
Thanks Em for your comment on the picture :D I thought Ryan is only scared of the bigger gray birds (the ones we saw on the hike). So he doesn't like all gray birds ey? Poor RyRy.
I don't eat birds Tammy. I know you do tho.
mini moo!
Post a Comment