Sunday, August 17, 2008

Daily Swim


I have been swimming in this pool for the past 4 years and I never once think to measure the distance I swim everyday. All I have to do is measure the length of the pool and multiply by 120 (60 laps). After watching the men's 1500m swim  yesterday in the Olympics, a light bulb went off [Ding!] and I decided to get my lazy okole out of the pool to finally measure it's length after all these years. Ok math whiz, here it goes.  Since I didn't bring a meter stick or a measuring tape to my swim this morning, I just used my feet :D.  Took me 76.5 steps to walk along the length of the pool. My foot is 9 inches long which makes the pool 535.5 inches in length. So, that's 13.6 meters, or 27.2 meters per lap. Multiply that by 60 which comes to a grand total of 1632 meters. One mile equals 1609.344 meters. That means I swim over a mile every day! To be conservative, let's just say I swim a mile everyday.

Okay, an Olympic swimmer takes an average of 1 min to swim 100 meters freestyle. This morning, it took me 5 minutes to swim 10 laps, leisurely (I was lazy). So, that's 2 laps or 54.4 meters in 1 minute. Hmm, I guess that's not too shabby. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, michael phelps, watch out for choo! That's awesome! Makes me wish I had access to a pool...

angelpoo said...

Ha ha, that's funny! I think it took Phelps 45 seconds to swim 100m. It's just nice to know that yeah, I am slow, but not THAT slow, ha ha!