Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Journal of My Denver Travel - Friday

Sorry to leave you in suspense about my last day in Denver. I should tell the story starting from when the day began, at 12am in the morning. Overnight, temperatures in Colorado dropped from the 70's to the 30's. Thunderstorms roared through the State, with snow falling in some parts of the State and rain in others. When I last closed my eyes, the weather was rainy. I woke up the next morning to find a beautiful city - Lakewood was covered in snow. Temperatures dropped so low that rain turned to snow. I turned on the news and heard that the thunderstorms caused major delays and flight cancellations at the airport. United Airlines alone was reported to have 72 flight cancellations that morning. One thought came to my mind, "Where were the geese?" I imagined them turning into snow sculptures and was terrified. I was determined to look for them and if necessary, rescue them from the sudden change in weather.

After the workshops and my daily swim at the hotel, I ventured into the snowy weather in search of my geese buddies. I couldn't find the sidewalk so I walked through parking lots after parking lots, stepping to icy puddles and snow mounds. The snow was different - it was wet and heavy, and it turned to ice very quickly. This made it difficult to walk on the road, or rather slide on the road. The snowplow was busy clearing the streets and the parking lots. Though the snow was falling faster than it could plow. I took a small detour to see what hid behind the parking lots and the hotels.
It's Snowing!
Lakewood was so beautiful. I felt the Christmas spirit and was wondering why people would hang lights on these trees only to ruin the peaceful scenary. I particularly enjoy watching the snow rest on each branch of the tree, and would hang on until they succum to the force of gravity.
It's Snowing!
Walking back, I found my clues - their footsteps! Once again, our paths cross my little geese friends.
Goose and Me
I had to cross two giant puddles of icy water in order to reach the lake where I last saw the geese when the weather was warm. I scanned the waters hoping to find something and ... there they were, swimming happily in the cold cold water. It was snowing harder.
Geese and Snow
For lunch I went to Tuk Tuk Thai Grill again. Originally, I planned on visiting 240 Union Grill. However, the restaurant was closed so I chose Tuk Tuk. I love the Pineapple Fried Rice so much I was tempted to order it again. Then again, as a wannabe foodie, I should order something different. I ordered Pad Thai, without peanuts.
Pad Thai
When my food came, I felt so warm. The bean sprout heart was Denver's way of saying, "Come visit us again, love, Denver." I looked outside the windows and thought of my geese buddies. I missed them very much. The Pad Thai tasted great. It was the best meal throughout this trip.
Love, Denver
Walking back to the hotel, I saw a table outside covered with at least 3 inches of snow. I had the crazy idea of reviving snow Achoo. About 5 years ago, I went on a road trip with Bryan and a couple friends to various places - Chico, Mount Shasta, Feather Falls, etc. At Mount Shasta, Bryan build a snow sculpture of Achoo, my stuffed animal pig. He did an excellent job. Since then, we have missed that sculpture and regret not bringing him back in an ice box :) When I saw this table with so much snow to work on, I wanted to bring him back. I only had 20 minutes before my airport ride came so instead of building a snow sculpture, I drew him on the snow. He was so happy to be back.
Snow Achoo is Back!
On the drive to the airport, I saw snow turned to rain. Denver wasn't snowing. The city was at the rain belt of the storm. To the west of Denver was snow, and to the east was rain. This was a very cool (metaphorically and literally) phenomenon. Luckily, my flight wasn't cancelled and I was happy to return home that night. At about 5:30 pm (my flight was at 6:20), Denver began to snow, and it snowed hard, probably an inch per hour. By the time everyone got on the plane, the airport grounds and the plane were covered with snow. Everyone looked outside the tiny windows of the airplane and saw snow blowing in different directions. Weather wasn't good and everyone was eager to leave. I thought to myself, "It can't be this good. Snow storm and no delays or cancellations to my flight?" Then the news came. The captain announced, "Bad news everyone, I just got a call that all departing flights are to stop until further notice. So we are to stay here until we hear any news." The flight was delayed for 2.5 hours. The last half hour was rather entertaining because we saw staff de-icing the runway and the plane. I got home safely since I lived to blog about all of the exciting things that happened.

Well, this concludes the Journal of My Denver Travel. I hope you enjoyed reading about my adventures as much as I enjoyed writing about them.

1 comment:

Helen Doan said...

Lovely trip. I really want to go to Denver for the food, those silly geese and snow.