Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Journal of My Denver Travel - Monday

The first night’s sleep was interrupted by the heater, periodically turning on and off, each time with a loud “thump thump grump flooooo”. It was annoying! Of course I didn’t risk turning it off and freeze my okole through the night. Waking up at 10 in the morning and still yawning, I decided to brave the streets of Lakewood near my hotel in search for breakfast. I wanted something heavy that will carry me through the next 6 hours, so I ended up in Denny’s.

I haven’t been to Denny’s for 6+ years. Similar to McDonald’s and Burger King, Denny’s wasn’t a place that would interest me, not even occasionally. Oddly, I had a craving for pancakes and maple syrup that morning, and I didn’t have much choice other than two other places that were closed for breakfast. My server was a jolly Mexican man called Arturo. He was very nice and prompt. I ordered a hot tea and the popular Grand Slam with bacon, sausage, pancakes, and egg whites. I didn’t want to order so much pork but I couldn’t order 4 starches either. Everything was normal and delicious.
Denny's Pancakes
Following breakfast I went for a quick swim. The pool looked so much better with the reflection of the morning sunlight. Water was still cloudy from the chlorine but I felt more comfortable swimming with the brightness of the room.

Four hours of sitting at the workshop burned so much of my energy. I was listening, taking notes, doing class exercises, checking email, and planning the rest of my day all at the same time. When I am at a conference or workshop, I have to keep myself busy otherwise I would lose focus. Sounds kind of ironic, but I need distraction to stay focused and awake. I am sure some of you will understand this tricky concept.

Once again, I find myself walking across the street in search for food, this time, dinner. (This is very pretentious of me but I felt like a food critic bravely touring the city of Denver/Lakewood in solitude. The secret life of a humble food blogger whose blog only has 4 dedicated followers. HA!) I passed through a parking lot where I saw two large gray birds pecking at the grass. I thought, geese in Denver? They were amazing birds. As I walked closer to them, their eyes illuminated curiosity limited by fear that I would do something to them. We stared at each other for awhile and then my tummy told me to stop this silly distraction instantly and continue my purpose for the night, to eat good food.
Geese in Denver?
From outside, Chad’s Grill looked like a place where one wouldn’t want to eat alone. Well guess what, I was alone and hungry. I had to eat. I walked in and found the restaurant atmosphere very inviting, enough for me to feel comfortable eating without a companion. The waitress escorted me to a nice table by a beautiful painting. When I sat down, I realized I wasn’t alone, but accompanied by a romantic candlelight and an attractive drink menu.
Table at Chad's Grill
Chad's Grill
I ordered a Blueberry Martini and the Rotisserie Chicken Pot Pie. To my surprise (and my waitress, Karen), everything came in about five minutes! Yes, that quick. I have had many martinis in Hawaii but never a blueberry one. It was made with freshly squeezed blueberry juice and Absolut vodka. The martini came in a 16oz class and Karen poured some into the martini glass. It was good, strong, tasty, and for the first time, a martini of adequate volume. I could taste the blueberry juice, citrus-like flavor with a hint of sweetness. If blueberries were in season, this martini would be a dessert. I am glad it wasn’t.
Blueberry Martini
Next was the Rotisserie Chicken Pot Pie. It came in a homemade bread bowl, with a flaky pastry dipped into the thick and gooey conglomerate. On the side were two cantaloupe wedges and one piece of watermelon. I ate the pastry flake by flake. So ono! The bread bowl was thick and soft, it also had a cool curvy shape. In the pot pie were giant pieces of rotisserie chicken mixed with carrots, peas, celery, and potatoes. I have never had such a good tasting pot pie.
Rotisserie Chicken Pot Pie
Doh! I failed to eat the bread bowl without leaking any pot pie onto the plate. I have yet to master the art of eating a pot pie.
Doh! Leaking Chicken Pot Pie
That’s not all. My food came with appetizer pastries - three small pieces of cake, which I ate for dessert. I was so full I ended up packing these pastries for my midnight snack. Overall, my Day 2 in Denver was quite enjoyable.
Dessert at Chad's

7 comments:

Helen Doan said...

Your trip sounds wonderful. It's not bad and boring at all to travel alone. I guess solo travel will be on my to-do list.

angelpoo said...

Hi Helen, solo travel is only fun if you have a mission. If you have no pastime and are not motivated to do things on your own, then traveling alone might not be a good idea. I love to eat so when I go somewhere foreign, I just eat eat and eat! I am sure you will do that too :)

Helen Doan said...

By the way, that chicken pot pie looked kinda small but delicious. I'm surprised that you didn't order some strange-crazy named dishes like road-killed goose pancake topped with blood syrup. :)

Anonymous said...

So...how are the watersheds in Denver?

angelpoo said...

What!? Road-killed goose pancake? Blood syrup? I don't think you can eat those here. Might be illegal. And the pot pie is not small, it jsut looks small in the photo. It is actually the size of a nice big Japanese Udon bowl.

Anonymous....you are my Bryanbies :) And the watersheds are fine here.

Unknown said...

looks like you're eating well. :) My brother, his fiance, and my parents were all in Denver at the same time you were! Maybe you walked by them at the airport. :)

angelpoo said...

What??????/ Really???? Where were you? Ooooo, this is exciting and what a coincidence!