Monday, May 8, 2006

Plumeria

I have always wanted to grow something nice in my lanai. However, the morning sunlight is so strong that the plants dry out too fast. After just one day, the plants wilt and the soil is completely dry. I have to water the plants twice a day to keep them alive! So, I am attempting to do something very unusual...I am growing a Plumeria tree in my lanai. On the left is a picture of a Plumeria tree. People usually grow them in the yard because they grow really fast and get really big. They are also very easy to grow - cut a stem, stick in soil and water. So, I am growing this thing in my lanai, HOW FUN! Of course I will have to prune it so often. For the past month, I stuck the cutting in a bucket of water to stimulate root growth. I just planted it in soil today so it can absorb some nutrients for the flowers. From the look of it, the color of the flower is yellow which is the kind that smells the best! I am so excited. I will continue to monitor its growth and keep you updated. Oh and if you know anything about pruning plants, please send me a comment because I will need all the help I can get. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Mike J said...

Prune the branches will too many leaves and flowers, you don't want the plant to use up all it's nutrients for blooming and weighing itself down, at least not until it gets older and bigger. IT's the same reasoning why you pick the fruit off of young trees, you don't want them to waste energy making fruit when they should work on growing up strong. Try using mulch or peat moss to keep the soil moist and cool if it is drying out too much.

angelpoo said...

Thank you much lemonpower :)