Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Why do I enjoy going home so much? Not only do I miss my friends and family, but there is one thing that nothing can ever replace...

At around 7PM, I wait impatiently upstairs for my mom to say, "Time to eat!" I walk back and forth between my room and the computer room, waiting ... When I hear her, my eyes widen and my tummy begins to talk. My mom would always say those words as she is bringing the first entree out from the kitchen. By the time she sets one dish on the dinner table, I am already in my seat, waiting to smell every dish as they come. Again, I am first to get the rice. As I open the rice cooker, I let the steam fog my glasses and warm my face. Ah, the smell of freshly cooked rice, very comforting. I fill my bowl with rice and return to my seat. As I pick up my chopsticks, I think to myself, "I am ready."

Mame's home cooking never disappoints. The word "delicious" doesn't do justice to her food. Every bite brings me back to the same spot, a very good spot - the feeling of home. This is the meaning of comfort food and it doesn't get better than that. Below is beef with cabbage stir fry. So simple and so wonderful. Nothing can replace this, and that is why I love going home.
Oh So Wonderful
I updated my turtle blog with more pictures of my turtles that I took from this past trip back home.

2 comments:

poohcow said...

Totally agree - things have changed, our lives have change, but the comfort from the food never changes.

The Death Metal Soccer Coach said...

Are those big chunks of garlic? Yum!!