Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hiking in Makiki

Since I work for the State, I had Election Day off. Yipee! I really needed the day off as I was still recovering from the Maui field visits. Guess what I did to help me recuperate? I went hiking. STUPID Choo! Back in July, we hiked the Makiki Valley Loop Trail. This trail and many others (17 total) are part of the Honolulu Mauka Trail System (see map below). The highlighted areas indicate trails that HappyOblivion and I have already hiked.
Honolulu Mauka Trail System
The colors indicate separate trips. If I remember correctly, we hiked the Waahila, Puu Pia, and Kolowalu Trails shortly after we moved to Hawaii. Then, we hiked Manoa Falls and Aihualama Trails maybe 3 years ago. In July, we did the Makiki Valley Loop Trail. This past Tuesday, we decided to tackle the three trails that overlook Nuuanu Valley. I loved the hike. There were couple places where we needed to use a rope to help us climb over gigantic rocks. Fantastic views at the top. See for yourself. Make sure to read the notes for each photo.

1 comment:

The Death Metal Soccer Coach said...

Great pics - I especially like the third one looking up into the trees! And those poke bowls look awesome!