Last week Monday to Wednesday, I was back in East Maui doing field work. Our crew went to the same locations to measure flows again, and again, and again ... zzzzz. WHICH IS why we had the most fun on Wednesday, when we had no agenda to follow, nobody to meet, just us and our best friend the 4WD vehicle. Since we had a LONG day on Tuesday - 7AM to 1AM (18 hour day and no kidding), we started our Wednesday at 8AM with a huge delicious breakfast (so glad it wasn't at McDonald's or 7 Eleven). I had teri loco moco with a super ono gravy. We took our time to get everything ready for our long trip to the Hana side. By 11AM, we were at Wailuanui Stream, making our way to the top of Waikani Falls. On the previous trip, we had walked down from the bridge to the stream. However, we didn't hike beyond the pond because it was getting dark. This time, we were determined to find Waikani Falls, a waterfall that all the Wailua farmers have been talking about.
The hike was treacherous. We were hopping over boulders, hoping we don’t take a wrong step and sprain our ankle. Instead of swimming across the pond, I climbed the side of the mountain to get to the other side. The photo below was taken right after I crossed the pond. Can you see me?

This was the view in front of me. Almost there, I can see the drop!

Finally! The top of Waikani Falls. The view there is amazing but scary because the drop is huge. We all took a butt load of pictures to commemorate the rocky hike.

In a week, I will be back on Maui for more field work. Different streams, different public. It will be interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment