Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sunrise at Sea

When the Superferry was first launched, HappyOblivion and I bought tickets to Kauai. The tickets were on sale for $5 per person and the same for a car. Great price for two pake people. But, the unexpected happened - protest by a bunch of environmental enthusiasts. The ferry was canceled and we got three vouchers, one for the car and two for us. The ferry didn't make sail for probably 6 months or so. When it was re-lauched, the ferry would only sail to Maui. So, we used the vouchers to go Maui. I know I know, with all these work trips to Maui, why would I go Maui for vacation? Well, simple answer - I HAD NO CHOICE BECAUSE THE VOUCHERS EXPIRES IN 2 MONTHS! [Ok, calm down]. This past weekend, we sailed and sailed away. 6:30AM was the departure time and we had to arrive to the port by 5AM. The ferry looked so big on the outside. Heck, it was gigantic! However, the part where people sit (the top of the ferry with the windows) was only a fifth of the size of the ferry. Driving into the ferry was fun. On the way to Maui, we parked at the bottom level. On the way back, we were shuttled to the top level right in the middle of the U-bend, which was more crowded and chaotic.
Hawaii Superferry
Vacation began when the sun rose behind the city and the clouds, dressing the sky with colorful shades of orange glow. Watching sunrise at sea was different from watching it on the beach. In the ocean, you are dancing with the clouds, the colors, and the sun. The farther the ferry sails away from the island, the glow from the sky becomes softer yet captivating. It was a different kind of romance. Let me take you through the sunrise.  Hopefully, you can sway with the colors of the sky and feel the love the island has to offer. Here is sunrise over Honolulu as we were sailing out of the pier.
Sunrise in Honolulu
Sunrise over Diamond Head. My favorite photo. 
Sunrise Over Diamond Head
The glow faded away as we sailed further from the island.
As the Sky Turns
Last of the glowing sky. Hawaii is awake. 
Hawaii is Awake
About an hour into sail on the way back from Maui, we saw Lanai and Molokai. The photo below shows Lanai. Look at the clouds hovering the island. Beautiful weather.
Lanai
This is Molokai. The difference between Molokai and Lanai is that Molokai is a very long island. In this photo, I tried to stand as far back as possible on the railing but I still couldn't capture the entire island.
Molokai
As I was swaying with the ferry and enjoying the ocean mist on my face, I looked at the vast ocean and felt a sudden loneliness. I had the urge to jump into the blue, daring my mind and body to be so alone with the ocean. I couldn't, but I kept watching and wondering...
Lonely Blue
So, this was our Superferry experience. We had a blast! Stay tuned for more posts from this trip. By the way, my Artsy Blog has been updated.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, these photos are even nicer than I remembered. Maybe I was too sleepy since we had to wake up at 4am and wait in line for gas at 4:45am at Costco. Gas, it runs our lives!